Why I got off Facebook

via pinterest
source-pinterest

I took a 4 month break from Facebook and there were quite a few reasons.  It was a MUCH needed mental health break, and I highly recommend the social networking detox for anyone who is considering it.  In fact, it was really hard to get back on Facebook.

I finally realized there are a handful of friends I never see, rarely speak to, but that I want to keep up with.  I want to see their families grow.  I want to see their successes and failures.  I want to be somewhat part of their life.  And on top of that - there was a grandparent or two  HIGHLY encouraging me to give Facebook another shot so they could see the grandkids adventures.  So, I'm back - for now.  But this is why I left:

1. I was mentally 12 years old.  I found myself saying things like - "Did you see that so and so are now friends with so and so?"  Or, - "Why did she like so and so's picture?" - And,  "Why does so and so never like anything I post?" - I imagine these conversations take place amongst middle schoolers. I kept finding myself not just thinking this non-sense, but saying it out loud to people!  I was embarassed.

2. I spent far too much time on Facebook.  I'd be at home after work, using valuable time that I should be spending with my kids, scrolling my home page.  I don't want to set that example for my kids.  I want to be present, and teach them to be present and not have their nose in a phone.  I want to have conversations with the people I'm in the room with, even if those people are only 2 years old.

3. I started to think of Facebook like that tree in the forest.  You know the one. If a tree falls in the forest and you didn't hear it fall, did it really fall?  If I didn't post a picture of my kids at the park, did we really go to the park?  I was more concerned with posting our moments than living them.

 4. It was affecting my work-life.  Anytime I needed a mental health break, I'd hop onto Facebook and scroll around.  When what I should have been doing is getting up and walking around.  Talking to my coworkers, not just liking their statuses.  

5. I never spoke to my friends.  I checked on them online, and that was it.  Being off Facebook forced me to have to call people I wanted to check-up on.  To text them, to ask them to lunch.  I couldn't just send a Facebook eVite if I wanted to have a get-together.  It forced me to have to send them a note, or give them a ring to invite them to an event, and vice versa - which was nice.   

6. I got worried I was telling my future hubby that I loved him more on social media than in person.  I don't want to sit across a room from him and write on his wall how important and special and wonderful he is.  I want to tell him in person.  I want to say it outloud, or write it on a piece of paper he can put in a shoe box and keep.  =)

Now - I'm back on Facebook, and have asked the Mister to hold me accountable for not getting sucked back into the social media monsoon.  I'm trying hard not to scroll through Facebook when I'm at home, and not to leave the Facebook tab open at work.  I don't want Facebook to become a mindless default again. 

I like social media for a lot of reasons - but I like being social more.  Consider the break for yourself.

xo-Ava


Comments