Chef-ish: Hamburger Soup

Let's be clear on this cooking thing - I aim to cook about 3 meals a week for the family.  Realistically I just WON'T cook more than that.  We eat those 3 meals as leftovers on the other days, frozen pizza on a day I'm sick of leftovers, we go out to eat about once, and on the days I don't feel like doing any of the above - we eat cereal and/or chips and salsa.

We are a busy crew.  The meals I cook have to be quick.  Between jobs and sports and grown-up extra-curriculars, time is of the essence.  But on the nights we sit down and eat as a family, which I try to do AS MUCH as possible, we have turned off the TVs, left our phones elsewhere, and started talking to each other.

This wasn't easy.  "How was your day?" ended in a "fine" or a shoulder shrug or a whole lot of silence and wishing the TV was on for noise.  So we started a Best/Worst game.  Everyone goes around and tells what the best part of their day was and what the worst part of their day was.  Often the kids throw in what they're most excited for tomorrow, the time of the day they got the maddest, what their best friend said, and it just spirals into a lot of really good conversation.  We are often finished eating and still sitting around talking.  This makes my heart warm.  Check mark in the winning column for our parenting skills.


Now for how I made this bowl of deliciousness - I chopped up some veggies.  It was about half an onion, 2 stalks of celery, one green bell pepper, 6 or 7 baby carrots and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic.  So precise.   

I threw them in a pot and let them start getting warm and tender.  About 2-3 minutes.  Then I threw in some leftover meat.  It was about 1/2 a lb of hamburger meat, and 1/2 a lb of sausage.  Neese's Sausage only 'round here.

Mix it all up until meat is brown.

Then I realized I wanted some potatoes - so I diced up 3 Yukon Gold potatoes. Nom nom.

Next, I used a can of whole tomatoes, about 2 cups of beef broth, a can of corn - water and all, then a palm full of each shown seasoning: salt, pepper, oregano, parsley,  cayenne.

 BTW - this is my palm full.

Next about 3 TinkerBell spoons full of tomato paste.  Took a pic of the can so you could see how much I used.  I'M TELLING YOU - I DON'T MEASURE.

Stir and bring all ingredients to a boil.

Then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.  To further prove how GhettoFab I am - I don't have a pot with a matching lid. So I made this work.  IF I CAN COOK, SO CAN YOU.

Next up - devour.  It was hearty and healthy and made enough for dinner, leftovers and I have another dinner portion in the freezer for a lazy day.


Ingredients:
- half an onion
-2 stalks of celery
-one green bell-pepper
-6 or 7 baby carrots
-2 or 3 cloves of garlic
-1/2 lb of hamburger meat
-1/2 lb of Neese's sausage
-3 small Yukon gold potatoes or 1 large russet potato 
 -can of whole tomatoes
-about 2 cups of beef broth
-can of corn
-3 tablespoons of tomato paste
-small palm full of salt, pepper, oregano, parsley,  cayenne.

xo-Ava

Comments