Mixing Glitter - Part 2.


Back to why I'm such a mess and struggled finding a focus for this blog (reference part 1)... This blog ain't going to completely be about my family - how we function, what I feed them, how we deal with being a blended family.  It's going to be about the other huge part of my life, what makes me, me - my work-life.

I have a full-time career that I love, and I am super-ridiculous-crazy-OCD-passionately-obsessed with working for myself. I like having 2 jobs - I'm a freak. 

I also have a crazy business starting addiction.  I have a new business idea every day.  Luckily, I have a LITTLE bit of sense (and some really good reality checking friends) that tell me to get it together. Otherwise, I'd have a "Dress Your Cat Like a Unicorn Salon".  
Mmhmm.

For the past 6 years I’ve been a Wedding Planner.  I love it.  Once I had my daughter, (and my business partner had hers - on the same day – another post, another day…) it just became too much.  I LOVE, (I mean refer back to my super-ridiculous-crazy sentence above) kind of LOVE my brides and grooms.  I was lucky enough to work with the coolest/sassiest/smartest/hardest-working girls and guys on the planet of Earth.  There was NO WAY to be as obsessed with my clients as I was, have another full-time career, and raise a baby as a single mom.  So – it took the back seat.

I love the wedding industry – super-ridiculously-crazy… (you get the drift) LOVE the wedding industry.  So, I’ve continued to plan for close friends and family, do the occasional flower-gig, help with the occasional stationary/invite needs.  The hard truth is I can't be the kind of planner I was in this new life.  I liked to chat with my brides and grooms daily – I left myself open to 2am freak-out text messages about who is bringing ice to the reception and debates on if they needed an aisle runner.  That is how I liked to operate.  I can only handle a few clients at a time in that style of wedding planner role – and I don't want to do it at all if I can't do it the way I think it should be done.

My long term plan – which ain’t no secret – is to own venue space.  You’ll find me retired on a Golf Course when I’m 74 watching the weddings taking place from my back porch with a Jack Daniels in hand.  But, I can’t be out of this industry until that comes to fruition!  I'll go crazy!  Which leads me to this really scary place I’m in now.  How can I continue to be super-ridiculously-crazy obsessed and involved with my brides and grooms weddings without planning it?  What other talents do I have to offer?  What do I think I can balance successfully based on my passions and skill-sets and lessons I've learned along the way?  What have I always been curious about but never tried? Eek!  Vulnerability struggle bus coming through!

Photography. 

Big breath out.  There I said it.  The thing that makes me feel a little embarrassed to admit I want to try my hand at!  I SAID IT!  JUDGE ME!  BUT SILENTLY! NOT OUT LOUD BECAUSE I'M JUDGING MYSELF!

Over the past bazillion years, I've studied Communications/Marketing/Graphic Design/Public Relations.  I've learned Photoshop inside and out.  I've directed many photo shoots.  I've learned film, photography, editing – it’s ALWAYS been my passion. I've always been around cameras, filming, editing, shoots, beautiful projects, beautiful people, beautiful moments.

Now here I am.  

I impulse purchased a camera.  I’ve been super-ridiculous-crazy-OCD-passionately-obsessed with learning the ins-and-outs of that camera.  I’ve watched every tutorial.  I’ve read all the things.  I’ve begged a handful of friends to let me take their pictures until I consider myself good enough to try my hand at a wedding.  And we will just see where this goes. 

Lots of things inspired this idea to change my place in this industry and work up the courage to take this leap.  One of them being that I’ve worked very closely with some AWESOME photographers over the years as a Wedding Planner.  One of my favorites – Lauren Cardwell – is moving to a different state!   I LOVE how she is with her clients.  I love her process.  I love her attitude.  I love her professionalism.  I love her sweet stinkin’ adorable face.  I just LOVE her.  I want to be like her when I grow up.  Starting with how I want to be as a Wedding Photographer. 

Dude I totally just said it again... Wedding Photographer.  Do you think if I keep calling myself a Wedding Photographer I’ll start to believe this change?  I can totally get down with calling myself a Wedding Planner – but changing that last word is going to take some getting used to.

Pray for me!  Maybe I'll change my mind in a week and open that Unicorn Cat Salon...

xo - Ava

Comments