Chef-ish: Margherita Pizza

Ok y'all - I use the word "chef" lightly.  Lightly as in it definitely needs the "ish" at the end.  I decided to include a segment on what I feed my family because let's face it - kids eat a lot.  And being a working mom, cooking for them is not always the easiest.  Not to mention attempting to making it healthy.  That is just straight HARD.

I do NOT consider myself a great cook.  But my kids like what I make and I've even gotten our pickiest of eaters to really widen his horizons and try different things.  He thinks he hates cheese, but I've learned that if I call it something else like "sauce" or just "mozzarella" he will eat it - and then eat 2nds and 3rds.

The stuff I make is EASY and usually involves a kid or two helping.  I don't use recipes or measurements, so these may not even be that easy to follow.  BUT - if I can make this stuff - so can you.  Hopefully these recipes inspire you to get in your kitchen and trust in yourself a little bit.  You might be surprised what you can do and what your kids will like.

First things first - pre-heat your oven to 500°.

Now, I start by making my own dough - which trust me - it took YEARS to convince myself I could make.  So if you're like me from 2014 and prior, buy the store bought kind and stick with me. I'll post my dough recipe later.
Roll the dough super-dee-duper thin.  (How's that for "technical terms"?)  I roll a bit, pick up and shake out, then roll some more.  Oh and did I mention that when I first started making pizza I used a water bottle to roll this out because I didn't have a rolling-pin?  Uh-huh - GhettoFab, y'all.

We don't have pizza stones 'round here.  Just hand me down cookie sheets with years of stains.  Use that.  Spray it lightly with cooking spray, and once the dough is thin enough to cover the cookie sheet, throw it on there.  It sho' don't have to be pretty. My edges are ALWAYS uneven.
I then put about a tablespoon of olive oil on the dough and use my hands or the back of the spoon to spread evenly over the dough.

Then I shake this delicious all-purpose Greek Seasoning all over. You can use this, or Italian Seasoning, or make your own blend with whatever is in your pantry.  But if you're shopping BUY THIS.  It's sooooo freaking good.

Bake the dough for 4-5 minutes and when it comes out it will be bubbly and a little crisp - how I like it.  If you don't like it this crispy, next time bake it for less than that.  This is how we learn, people.

Put about 6-8 tablespoons of sauce on the dough and spread out evenly.  My future hubs doesn't like a lot of sauce so I try to compromise.  My half might be heavier...  Then I sprinkle packaged mozzarella cheese on the dough ever so lightly.

This is what I had in my fridge, so this is what I used.

Oh, what's that?  You want to see my sign back there?  Ok...
That's when you know you've found your soulmate.

Anyways - Now top with 4-5 sliced roma tomatoes just as thin as you like them.  Don't know how thin you like them?  Then as thin as you can go without cutting your hand off is my rule of thumb (pun intended). If I had to guess, mine are about 1/4th of an inch or so.  Totally guessing.
Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the tomatoes for flavor.

Top with sliced mozzarella cheese.  I use a ball of this stuff straight from the deli section. Same thin chopping rule applies.
Top with a package of basil - hand-shredded, and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.  My rule with how long to cook it is good ole Rachael Ray's - 'your nose knows when it's done'.  And if your nose hasn't cooked in upteen years and has no clue what "done" smells like- then check it every 5 minutes until it "looks right" - another fancy technique =).

By the way - if you were looking for a real recipe, you've come to the wrong place.

Also - I got all kinds of distracted and totally forgot to take a pic of the finished product.  Luckily, we had a slice leftover.  I'm making sure the expectations of these food posts are set from the gate.  Remember the ish.

Bon appetit, y'all!

Ingredients:
-pizza dough
-olive oil
-4-5 roma tomatoes
-1 3/4oz package of basil
-1 8oz package fresh mozzarella cheese
-about 1/4 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
-salt and pepper
-Greek or Italian all-purpose seasoning
-marinara sauce

xo-Ava

Comments