Happy Birthday Pawpaw


Happy 87th birthday to my Pawpaw and his 1st birthday in Heaven. 

Growing up in a small house with 5 people with very big personalities under one roof, my house got very chaotic - very often.  My Grandfathers house (which was right next door) was always a safe haven.  My quiet, calm place.  He never minded when I just wanted to sit in a room by myself for a little bit.

His house was always clean, always smelled of something cooking, and golf was ALWAYS on the TV.  Funny how I cannot stand to watch golf, but never minded watching it with him for hours on end.

He taught me how to cook, the proper way (and order) in which to wash dishes, how to drive, and how to be responsible with money. 

The day before my drivers license test my dad hadn't taken me to drive at all, and my very nervous mother had only let me drive a handful of times to a convenient store not even a quarter of a mile down the road.  I was sure I would fail my test and was such a nervous wreck.  Without even having to ask him, my Pawpaw took me driving the entire day.  All over town.  For hours. By the end of that day, I felt so confident and proud. 

When my parents thought I was crazy for trading in my freedom for a job at 14, or for going to a 4-year university, he rooted me on. And never stopped rooting.  He would call me several times a week to chat about how school and work was going.

On his literal death bed he was scared of owing someone money.  He would forget where he was, but knew he had nurses taking care of him, and would ask repeatedly if someone had paid them. 

He was always humming a tune, tapping his foot, and in a jolly mood.  Never cruel, never acted in the heat of the moment, always level-headed and wise. 

He drove me to school in his 1970 something green Chevelle.  Fed me. Made sure we had clothes, coats, shoes.  He provided, always. 

I owe this man more than could ever be put into words for the person I am today.  Without him, I don't know who or where or what kind of person I would be.  It scares me to even imagine.

Everyone hug your grandparents close today.  Last year he was able to walk to the kitchen and have a piece of cake with me, and this year he is gone.  It happens fast.  The wonderful part of this years birthday though is that he knows exactly who he is, where he is, and is pain free.  I hope he is dancing away to the best country music with Heaven's prettiest angels.  Happy Birthday, Pawpaw.

xo-Ava

Comments